Monday, September 14, 2009

QB Controversy?

As I do not agree with most of the Cleveland fans that Brady Quinn should be replaced by Derek Anderson, I do agree with Terry Pluto's comment:

"I have a bad feeling about Sunday's game with Minnesota. It's hard to imagine a worse team for the Browns' opener because the Vikings do two things very well: 1. Run the ball. 2. Defend the run.

As you know, the Browns don't run the ball well, nor do they defend the run"

Do I blame Quinn for the loss? No. Do I think he could have played better? Yes.

The idea that I cannot come to grasps with is that Derek Anderson will do a better job than Brady Quinn. Think about this -- if Quinn is only to run the plays that Brian Daboll (the Offensive Coordinator, and boy, was it offensive!) sends in, what would make Derek Anderson do that much better?

I think the issues that the fans miss is that Jamal Lewis was running the ball extremely well against the top-rated defense of last year. Also, I counted (and I may be wrong because I was never good at math) three drops by Robert Royal, two by Braylon Edwards, one by James Davis and Mike Furrey. So, plug in Derek Anderson, and will that change things?

What I noticed is that Quinn did not call audibles and did not look comfortable in the pocket. In my opinion, I think it was not enough time with the first team in pre-season, which would lead me to believe Quinn believing an audible would or would not work.

I actually agree with Bud Shaw's comment (and this is extremely rare):

"But the way his players regurgitated the script was downright Cyborgian."

It did look like that the players were just running plays, not playing football. If that is what Eric Mangini wants then the talent of the staff has to be increased.

Denver is up next and if I see the Wildcat formation twice in a row on the 2 yard line and gaining nothing, I would look for a new Offensive Coordinator.



No comments: